The Diabetes Program aims to improve the health of Aboriginal and Torres Strait
Islander people with diabetes (and their families) through education and training
based on the improvement and management of diet, physical activities and
This program aims to help Clients increase and sustain self-management of their
By working together with the Diabetes Coordinator and health team, Clients can access:
- a full health assessment, screening and testing (e.g. blood sugar levels, HbA1c,
urine, ACR and cholesterol checks)
- regular health checks by medical staff, foot and eye specialists and the dietician
- a health care plan with regular reviews
- activity days which address diet, exercise and health in all areas that affect
- a range of visiting Specialists
- health, education and promotion to raise awareness about diabetes and how to manage it
- advise on healthy choices of meals + portion sizes
- support from the community through group activities like walking groups, cooking, education sessions on walking groups, reading food labels and counting carbohydrates
- Medical advice for diabetes self management.
What can you do to
better manage diabetes?
- Have an interest in improving your health
- Keep a record of your blood sugar level
- Be willing to participate in any diabetes
activities being offered
- To work with the Diabetes Coordinator and
health providers as a team
- Take your medication as prescribed by
- Encourage family members to participate
with you in making healthy changes to
- To look at improving your health long
term, not just a ‘quick fix’.
Goondir acknowledges all support provided by the Department of Health and Ageing, Office for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health.
These healthy lifestyle tips will improve your
health and well-being:
- Eat healthy food and drink plenty of water
- Do regular exercise
- Add fruit and vegetables to your daily diet
- Check your feet and blood sugar level daily
- Stress-free lifestyle
- Spend time doing things you really enjoy
- Cease smoking
- Attend regular diabetes checkups.
Please click here for Brochure